This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Blog page title

• Creator
    Topic
    olavlind

Jason,

Where is the code that shows/hides the page title for the blog page?
    I have set up a page titled “Nyheter” (News in norwegian) to show the blog posts, but the page title is missing from this page.

Another thing, where in the code can I change the default fonts the theme is using?
    We have company site using this theme, but the boss wants a different font on the page header and some other places.

~Olav

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Where is the code that shows/hides the page title for the blog page?
    I have set up a page titled “Nyheter” (News in norwegian) to show the blog posts, but the page title is missing from this page.

This would be determined from the page template file, which is template_blog.php. I’m not sure why you’d need to do anything in the code though here, as you can turn the title of the page on/off simply from editing the page.

.. If you don’t see this option, you may have it hidden. If so, you’d go up to the “Screen Options” at the top right corner of the screen to show it.

Another thing, where in the code can I change the default fonts the theme is using?

You can find options to change fonts here: Complexity > Theme Options > Fonts

Anything outside of this would be CSS customizations you’d need to make to the theme. For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

Also, here’s a helpful tutorial on how to use Firebug – http://vimeo.com/20917974. The only thing I’d suggest not doing is actually making edits to the theme’s CSS files, as it shows at the end of that video. However, the video serves as a good introduction to Firebug and how it can be used to find what CSS is effecting certain areas of your site without ever digging around in any files.

olavlind

Jason,

When looking through the CSS for the theme, I noticed you misspelled helvetica and called it “helevtica” in several places. Just FYI.

Regarding the Blog page title, I had to do this in archive.php line 30 to make the page title show:

Nyheter  /* Page Title added by OL */
    				<?php if (have_posts()) : ?>
    					<?php $post = $posts[0]; // Hack. Set $post so that the_date() works. ?>

This should work as the word “Nyheter” should always be the page title on the blog page.
    Any Ideas why I had to do that?

The setting to show this page does not work here.

~Olav

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by olavlind.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Jason Bobich.
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

If you’re editing archive.php, it means you don’t have a blog page setup with the blog page template (which is what I was referring to above). This would mean what you’re referring to as your “blog” page is obviously a WordPress archive and not a static page with the blog page template as I was referencing above.

olavlind

Hmm, strange. This is what I did:
    I created a page called “Nyheter based on standard template.
    I set that as the blog page in WordPress settings.
    I tried to change the template for the page “Nyheter” to blog roll, but still no heading.
    I changed the setting for “show/hide title” on the page, still no heading.

The only way to get a page heading at the top of the blog page was to hard code it into the archives.php file.

I have also tried to run a diff between the original version as downloaded from you and the version I have online, but there is nothing other than a few language changes that I made

~Olav

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I set that as the blog page in WordPress settings.

When you say this, I think you mean that you’re going to Settings > Reading and selecting the page as the “posts page” — When you do this, WordPress is replacing that page with the archive, and any page template, title, content, or settings of that page become irrelevant.

1) Create a page.
    2) Apply the “Blog Roll” page template to that page.
    3) Under Settings > Reading, DO NOT select this page as a “posts page” — simply leave that option blank.

olavlind

Jason,

You are absolutely right. I did what I have done in other themes, selecting a posts page under Settings > Reading.
    I deleted the page I set up for news, and created a new one selecting the Blog roll template and it worked as you said.

Thanks 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by olavlind.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Jason Bobich.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Commodore WordPress Theme (formerly Complexity)’ is closed to new topics and replies.