This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Best way to build this posts page?

• Creator
    Topic
    fryspoon
    Participant

I would like to build a posts page that has two columns. The left (large column) would display a list of posts, but only of a certain category, with a title, excerpt of text, and a preview image. The column on the right would ideally be a sidebar, but one of the widgets would display the last 5 or so posts as only headlines, but only of a certain category, and the headlines would link to those posts.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

There are different ways you could do this. I’d say the easiest way would just be to use what’s already setup in WordPress; just link to your category archives. You can do this easily from the menu builder under Appearance > Menus.

There are several other ways you could display posts, as well. Checkout the “Redefining the Blog” video series in your documentation.

And additionally, under Appearance > Widget Areas, you can create custom widget areas and then apply them to specific pages, category archives, posts, etc. There’s also a video series on this subject in your documentation, as well.

fryspoon
    Participant

I’ve got something pulled together, thanks. Now I have one more question on the issue.

I’m using the Theme Blvd Mini Post List widget to display the last four posts of a certain category. I want to add a link at the bottom of the list that links to that category of posts.

How do I accomplish that?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Apologies, but there’s no feature for that. The widget does not allow for any kind of link at the bottom of it. It’s just the listing of posts.

Technically if you wanted to change how the themeblvd_get_mini_post_list function works (which is what the widget pulls from), you could copy it to your Child theme’s functions.php before the framework runs to modify it, but keep in mind this is a code customization you’d need to make to the theme. You can find this function in /framework/frontend/functions/parts.php in order to copy it.

Here’s information about editing theme functions: http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/editing-framework-functions/

fryspoon
    Participant

That worked beautifully! Thank you.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.