This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Background color option with structure gone

• Creator
    Topic
    shake2450
    Participant

Ohhhh, I really don´t like these updates. Now I can´t find the option where I change the background color. Well, there is a color palet, but the themes multiple color options from before the update are gone. And the structure in the bachground color is gone too. Am I doing something wrong/looking the wrong places, or does is just not exist anymore?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster
    shake2450
    Participant

Got it. Thanks again, Jason.

notoreus
    Participant

This was a huge advantage to your design that you removed. I watched the video and I understand how to do it but I can’t imagine people are having that many problems with 225 pictures that total 30.5 MB.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I watched the video and I understand how to do it but I can’t imagine people are having that many problems with 225 pictures that total 30.5 MB.

I totally get what you’re saying, but when the WordPress theme is 3MB total, an extra 30MB is pretty significant and it makes the product look bad to people that understand what’s going on. Many hosts have their PHP configured to allow so much through uploading, and so we used to have tons of people just completely confused as to why they could not install the theme through their WP admin (like this or this for example).

It’s just one of those things that puts a customer off on the wrong foot right after they’ve bought a product. If you look over on ThemeForest.net comments when we used to do support over there, it’s a thing you see a lot if you search through. The problem was helped a little bit when we put a note about it at the top of the documentation.

But I would argue that now we’re doing it more the “right” way because these skin options realistically are not the type of thing you’re changing often; it’s usually a set it up once kind of thing. And then in addition to that, WordPress has a system setup for the background system. So, wherever we can utilize WordPress core, and what people should already know how to do if they’ve used WordPress much, is always better than creating something custom I think.

mharpen
    Participant

Hi J. I agree with you, but also with the others who have chimed in about missing the built-in TB background options. I see your point, but actually those built in options for background color and texture were nice and are definitely missed. Have you thought about an optional plugin that would add that back in? I would suggest a plugin that had a “lite” version of the background choices, maybe just 1/4 of the texture options. I would vote for the textures: bokeh, glass, glow, mozaic and splatter. I would bet these are the ones most used. I never liked the ones with lines, grids and dots, and wood only worked with brown, but there was only a dark brown. Anyway, it was a nice feature that the theme used to have. Please consider a plugin. It would be much appreciated. Thanks as always for your amazing work and support.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

It would be a fairly easy plugin to create I suppose, but I guess don’t quite understand because you have all the background images right there in your download package. Were you switching the background image of your site often through those options previously? It seems like the type of thing you’d setup and not really mess with for awhile.

mharpen
    Participant

When I create a site for someone with your theme, it’s nice to show them the options they have in the theme options. In the past I didn’t have to download the full package to their system, unzip it, and show them how to navigate to images, and then pull up the text document with hex colors. (BTW, when i open that text document in notepad, the line feeds are missing and it’s hard to read. It’s probably a unicode thing or setting on my side). Anyway, I’d much rather not have to go through that with a customer in order to let them choose and play with some background options. And sometimes people do want to change it later. Thanks so much again!

mharpen
    Participant

I also think those 7 color options that you display examples of at this website would be fine for a “lite” version of a TB Background plugin.

http://themeforest.net/item/alyeska-responsive-wordpress-theme/164366

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.