This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Alyeska replaced by WPJumpStart?

• Creator
    Topic
    kelleychambers
    Participant

Hey Jason! 🙂 I’m starting a new website of which I wanted to use Alyeska but I noticed in my most recently download (update) that it hasn’t been refreshed since December 2012… is this because Alyeska has been replaced by WPJumpStart? If that’s a yes, I’m curious if WPJumpStart is a “theme” or a framework…. I need to know rather quickly before I implement a (kickass) theme that may already be obsolete.

Cheers!,

– Kelley

PS – What forum are you using? BuildWith tells me the backbone is WordPress but this looks a LOT like a heavily custom version of Vanilla. Do tell! 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Kelley,

Nope, nothing has been replaced. Jump Start and Alyeska are just two different themes.

http://wpjumpstart.com/faq/

I have a framework that I develop that gets used in all of my WordPress themes. Jump Start is as stripped down as possible with just what the framework needs to run so the developer can have more of a blank starting point to work with from their Child theme. So, in other words, Alyeska is basically Jump Start, but with all of the design and style options added on that make Alyeska what you see.

With that said, the confusion is that at the moment of writing this, Jump Start contains v2.2 of the Theme Blvd framework, while Alyeska (and these themes) all contain v2.1. Updates to all of these themes will soon be posted to get them matched up with v2.2 of the framework.

… but I noticed in my most recently download (update) that it hasn’t been refreshed since December 2012… is this because Alyeska has been replaced by WPJumpStart?

That’s because I’ve been working on all of this in that time. It’s a never ending process. Alyeska v2.2 will contain all the progress that has been made in the last year on the framework overall.

PS – What forum are you using? BuildWith tells me the backbone is WordPress but this looks a LOT like a heavily custom version of Vanilla. Do tell!

You are looking at Child theme of Jump Start running bbPress on a good ol’ WordPress site.

msiep
    Participant

Jason,

I’m using Alyeska with a child theme that uses it pretty much like a blank slate – http://www.interactioninsight.com. What advantages / disadvantages are there of sticking with Alyeska vs switching to Jump Start? And if there are advantages of switching, do you have any idea how much I’m likely to have to modify my child theme to make it work with Jump Start instead of Alyeska? I’m inclined to think “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” but I’m wondering about site performance, etc.

Thanks,

Michael

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Michael,

What advantages / disadvantages are there of sticking with Alyeska vs switching to Jump Start?

There isn’t really any major advantage. If that works for you, stick with it; the framework will continue to be updated in both items. I guess the downside in doing what you’re doing is just that you have to muck through stripping/overriding stuff in Alyeska, and deal with whatever kinds of side effects that’s going to have as you move forward. Jump Start just provides a lighter-weight blank canvas to build on top of, opposed to stripping down, and all the extra server resources that could potentially take up (i.e. Alyeska adding and you stripping away, all there for no reason).

And if there are advantages of switching, do you have any idea how much I’m likely to have to modify my child theme to make it work with Jump Start instead of Alyeska?

That’s a really tough question to answer just because I don’t know what you’ve done in your Child theme to get it to that point. Jump Start incorporates the next big framework update, which Alyeska will be published with at about the time of the next WordPress release (v3.6). I’ve tried to make things as backwards compatible as possible, but some big things have changed in the next update.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.