This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

6 Columns in Layout Builder

• Creator
    Topic
    Brett
    Participant

I just tried to add a column element and set it up with 6 columns but it looks like your drop menu only allows for 5. Is there a way to get that to 6? I can add 6 if I use the shortcode builder.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

No, sorry, but this won’t be possible for you with the Columns element of the builder. — http://support.themeblvd.com/forums/topic/6-columns-in-template-builder/

Brett
    Participant

Gotcha, out of curiosity, why not 6 in the builder. In this case it isn’t a big deal because i’m just adding 6 milestone counters and it is just as easy to use the shortcode.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

There are mainly two reasons.

First, on the frontend, the more columns there are, the more narrow they become and the less elements that will display properly within. Every element of this builder could have 20-30 more options in it, but my goal is to limit the amount of poor looking option combinations as much as I can. The more options something has, the more of a mess a combination of random configurations can cause. So, if you have a sixth column, and most elements put into it look crappy on the frontend and you have to keep trying all these different things, with nothing turning out very nicely, this leads to more of a frustrating user experience.

Second, the design of interface itself doesn’t really fit more columns. Currently, say you’re on a standard 13″ – 15″ laptop and you’ve got your browser window 1200-1400 pixels, and you’re working in your WordPress admin. Set the columns to five, and you start to see it all barely fits.

When I was working on v2.0 of the layout builder, the Columns element was what I spent the most time on. I had actually originally designed it a certain way and it had a maximum at four columns. I couldn’t get a fifth column to fit within the interface, and so I ended up completely redesigning it after it had been setup for a couple of months, so I could have the capability of a fifth column added. This is what lead to the options of the inner element being in a modal window popup. Originally, I had them setup more like WordPress widgets where the option panels popped down and out a bit.

Brett
    Participant

I totally get your point. I rarely ever have to use 6 columns, this was a specific case where they wanted 6 milestone counters in a row so it was really the first time I ever tried adding 6 columns. It is typically never more than 4.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.